I'm May and I am a proud budget nerd!
Financial Peace University (FPU) forever changed my relationship with money! 1 Timothy 6:10 tells us that "for the love of money is the root of all kinds of evil" but FPU has taught me that it is not money that is the root of evil but, the love of money that gets us in trouble. Our attitude toward money is the problem, not the money itself. Money is morally neutral. In changing my relationship with money and in following the Dave Ramsey's 7 Baby Steps I was able to pay tens of thousands in student loan debt in under three years!
So, what is FPU and what are the seven baby steps?
FPU is a 9 lesson, money-management course taught by "financial guru", Dave Ramsey. Dave and his teaching team will walk you through the basics of budgeting, dumping debt, planning for the future and much more. The basics of FPU rely on Dave Ramsey's 7 Baby Steps. They're designed to be followed one right after the other to lead you out of debt and stress and into a life of saving and giving. This plan has worked for me and I hope it can help you too!
THE SEVEN BABY STEPS TO FINANCIAL FREEDOM
Follow Dave Ramsey's 7 Baby Steps to Financial Peace
- Baby Step 1: $1,000 cash in a beginner emergency fund
- Baby Step 2: Use the debt snowball to pay off all your debt but the house
- Baby Step 3: A fully funded emergency fund of 3 to 6 months of expenses
- Baby Step 4: Invest 15% of your household income into retirement
- Baby Step 5: Start saving for college
- Baby Step 6: Pay off your home early
- Baby Step 7: Build wealth and give generously